Construction/Tradesmen Jobs in Spain – Builders, Plumbers, Electricians, Tilers, Painters etc

The building and construction industry can involve building entire apartment blocks and roads however most building and construction projects in Spain are relatively small additions to properties such as extensions and small renovations.

There are a vast number of different types of jobs in the construction industry and in this article we will cover a few of the more common ones that will enable you to potentially get a job in Spain.

In the decade preceding 2008 a huge amount of urbanisations and new developments were planned and built in Spain leading to a shortage of construction workers.

job-spain-graphicThe pay was good and an influx of foreign workers came to Spain to start a new life.

Sadly the Spanish banks had overextended themselves and the bubble burst!

Unfortunately the boom in the building industry in Spain has come to a grinding halt and this is the worst possible time to be looking for work in this area.

Having said all that that, if you are a tradesmen, builder or construction worker determined to move to Spain then we will try give you some of the better options in the construction sector.

Becoming a tradesmen in Spain is pretty easy because most customers do not seem to check whether you have any professional qualifications or not. It seems any DIY enthusiast gets off the plane in Spain and declares himself a qualified tradesmen!

Working as a tradesman in Spain is one of the best ways of getting a job or finding work simply because as an English-speaking person who perhaps doesn’t speak any Spanish, you can be working for fellow English-speaking people.

Jobs for Builders

If you are a builder then you have good possibilities by making good money in Spain. If you have the finance behind you then it is possible to buy relatively cheap plots of land and construct a new build villa and sell for a healthy profit.

The property market in Spain is of course very depressed but there are still buyers out there. The key is to build the property in one of the popular expatriate areas that still retain its popularity to British people.

There are still plenty of expatriates looking to maintain their property or build extensions or swimming pools so there is plenty of property maintenance work available in Spain, just a lot of competition!

Working as a Plumber

With plenty of British people living in Spain there is a definite demand for plumbers who can deal with issues such as servicing boilers, dealing with leaks and pipework.

Many people will require their properties to be updated which will naturally include the bathrooms and kitchens.

Plumbers in Spain can earn good money by being self-employed and charging a daily rate of €100 a day to €150 a day.

Rather than looking for a job as a plumber you would probably be better off starting your own business and becoming self-employed.

Electrician Jobs

Just like plumbers there is of course a healthy demand for electricians in Spain. Naturally Spanish people are going to use Spanish electricians so you need to focus in on the expatriate market which will predominantly be in the Costa del Sol and Costa Blanca areas.

Many expats in Spain have bought old villas aged around 30 years old that require a complete rewiring. Typically electricians charge €3000-€4000 for this work which takes approximately 3 weeks. With a very healthy profit margin, electricians can enjoy a very comfortable living in Spain given that the cost of living is relatively low.

Jobs for Painters and Decorators

constructionPainters and decorators in Spain usually earn around €100 a day. Again it is usual to set up your own business than to become employed simply because most construction companies in Spain tend to be one-man bands.

Becoming a painter in Spain is pretty simple work as most people can slap some paint on walls. Villas and apartments are always being exposed to the weather, especially the heavy Spanish rain, and therefore always need to be updated.

There are many Spanish villa painting companies that claim to be able to spray paint your villa with paint that lasts an entire lifetime but from what we can find out it appears that this simply isn’t true. Therefore if you own a villa in Spain it is likely to be needing to be repainted every 10 years at the very least.

Other Work in Construction/Building Industry

There are many outdated villas and apartments requiring major renovation, works and maintenance. Certainly if you have skills as a carpenter, engineer, technician, roofer, tiler, plasterer, bricklayer, labourer or another construction type tradesman then you are likely to finding work in Spain whether it be for yourself or for an employer.

Below we list some of the other construction jobs:

• Architect
  • Quantity Surveyor
  • Site Engineer
  • Site Manager
  • Skilled Trades
  • Structural Engineer
  • Water Engineer

How Much Can I Earn in Spain?

Clearly there is no one answer to this question but to give you examples from people we know:

Working on a building site in Spain as a plumber, builder, tiler or carpenter the daily rate is usually between €80-€100 Euros.

For electricians in Spain there is lots of lucrative work rewiring houses, villas and apartments in Spain as many of the villas are now over 30 years old and require a complete rewiring to bring their houses up to European Union specifications and standards. The price of a typical three or four-bedroom villa can often be about €4000 so the opportunity to make good money in Spain is certainly there.

One advantage you have in search of jobs is that there is a large expatriate population Spain and they typically prefer to deal with English-speaking people rather than local Spanish tradesmen and builders.

Most Popular Places in Spain To Find Work:

Most Popular Work:

True Stories of Moving to Spain

Long-Term Property Rentals

Guide to Buying a Property

I Hate Spain – Shocking Opinions!

We also have our Spanish Job Prospects Section.

Comments

1. Thomas Shelley says

Hi, I am looking for work in Tenerife, I have over 30 years experience in the construction industry, in a wide area of work, Drainage and groundwork’s, building houses and maintenance.

2. Recently relocated from the uk where I ran a construction company for 12 years covering all aspects of building, I.e plumbing electrical and air conditioning and maintenance I also fitted and looked after several dental practices installing dental chairs cabinetry and equipment. Am living now in Los Cristianos and am seeking work.

3. Liam Brickley says

I am a qualified carpenter and joiner and looking for work in the Catalan area. I am Irish and have 20+ years of experience. I have all my own power tools and hand tools. Please contact me if you have any work or know of any jobs. Any site carpentry, renovation work, kitchen fitting flooring etc.
    liampb38@gmail.com

4. Steven Hickey says

Hi, I’m a painter and Decorator from Edinburgh with over 30 years experience looking for work in the north of Tenerife.

5. Hi, my name is Paul. I am a New Zealand born time served carpenter/joiner with a lot of experience in Plumbing, suspended ceilings and decorating. I am hard working, have an eye for detail, have most tools, an Irish passport, a N.I.E , a current .U.K. C.R.B and a clean U.K drivers licence. I am looking for any type of work in and around the Alicante region. I can speak Spanish and French.
    If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
    Kind regards
    Paul

6. Andy Richardson says

My name is Andy, I’m a fully qualified Electrician and am looking for work in Fuerteventura, preferably around Caleta de Fuste. I’ve over 20 years experience and have my own tools.

7. Kevin Lynch says

Hi there am looking for work in Spain I can plaster hand and machine plastering g4 good worker basic brick work and ground work/maintenance can do gardening paint and decorating got a full driving licence and can drive forklift and dumper truck I am actively fit with good communication skills reliable and honest looking to get there March till December 2020 as the weather is better there I am drug free I like go in for a couple pints watching football I am in Liverpool but can get a flight so if there any work please let me know and I will get back to you thank you Kevin.

8. Paul Morris says

Hi, my name is Paul, I am a property maintenance professional, in UK, looking to move to southern Spain
    Please contact me
    Pmor486@aol.com
    Thankyou for reading

9. I would like to work and live in Spain and can be help to go in spain

10. I’m a painter and decorator
    And bricklayer builder looking for work in Alicante

11. Adam Ramoth says

Time served renovater, fitting bathrooms start to finish to a high standard.

Worked for Hull Council, 10 years in the south of France renovating barns, self employed in the U.K last 6 years on Mybuilder.com with 100+ positive feedback, which I can prove. Over 25 years experience.

Looking for work in the COSTA BRAVA.

I have a van and tools. I take a small deposit and payment on completion of work. Call/text Adam
    +44(0)7745908523

12. Bradley cormack says

I am a wall & floor tiler trying to find out job opportunities & demand for my for trade in Spain & if anybody has any good contacts with English speaking property developers or recruitment
    Many thanks
    Brad

13. I’m a plasterer 32 years old with 17 years experience undertaking all aspects of plastering interior an exterior for example krend rough cast, cast an many more I’m looking to relocate from England an make a fresh start I can drive an looking around the playa de las Américas area thank you

14. Alan Evans says

Irish Plasterer /rendering specialist. Looking for summer work in benidorm, any thing considered.

15. Kieran murphy says

Am looking to move to south spain malaga surrounding areas as a tiler can do re tiling grout touch ups bathrooms floors kitchens walls etc please contact me a1tiling2018@gmail.com
    Was looking june 2020 or end of decemeber 2020

16. AVTAR singh says

Hello sir i am good construction carpainter ,15 years experience in Dubai, but sir no residency card in Spain. I working in valencia. So please help me..

17. Hi I’m a Carpenter / joiner. By trade able to
    Carry out other trades I’m looking for work in Andalusia
    I’ll consider any maintenance positions within
    Hotels or country B& Bs and willing to help out with
    Guests
    Previously I worked in the Granada region of Spain
    I had accommodation at the hotel and carried
    Out other duties including bar work and pool
    Maintenance
    Looking to come to Spain end of April 2020
    Please email david.s 2013@icloud com for
    More details

18. michael owers says

i am looking for a job in Tenerife i am a qualified joiner 16 yrs in the trade i can operate machinery and can drive i am very out going and will work doing anything my email is owers.michael@yahoo.com

19. Finding work of anytype in Alicante
    Am new in Espana so I have no too much relations who can help me for finding the work. I know English also please help me for finding the work my contact no is
    631222604

20. I can do any type of work Because I have no residency of Spain
    So plz help me for find the work
    I know good English language